Our 2017 Travel Plans: Mexico, Africa and Europe!
The beginning of the year is when we, like most everyone, set new intentions and update our vision board for the year ahead. And like a lot of you, traveling more is at the top of our '2017 To Do List'.
Whether it be in San Diego, California or San Sebastian, Spain, travel and exploration feeds our souls in a way nothing else does. Seeing the world reminds us that we as humans are way more alike than we are different. We see first hand that people are overwhelmingly good, and that people of all nationalities mostly just want to be happy, healthy and free to live in peace. Traveling resets our hearts and minds, fills up our 'optimism cups', and makes us not just better friends, spouses, and business owners, but plain and simply better humans beings.
We daydream of our next trip on the reg and plan for these getaways all year long. So without further ado, here's what we have planned so far for 2017:
We're only two weeks into 2017 and are already getting itchy (and very cold, wet) feet, so we figured a little trip to break up the winter doldrums is just what we needed!
- Dallas, TX. To see family and watch the Super Bowl... in the most football-y place on earth! Unfortunately my team (Dallas Cowboys) will not be participating, but we still plan to eat a gang of queso and BBQ and boo the refs with the best of 'em.
- Tulum, Mexico. Just a short hop from the Big D and one of our favorite places around. The freshwater cenotes, ancient ruins, warm turquoise water and fresh Mexican seafood is all out of this world.
- Isla Holbox, Mexico (pronounced Hole-Bosch). A new one for us and a few hours North of Tulum. Just Google it and you'll see why we'e been dying to go here for a while. We hope to swim with whale sharks, explore the tiny island via golf cart, and lounge with some pink pajaros on neighboring Flamingo Island. But then again we might just find a comfy hammock and call it a day...
OMG I'm so excited I could pee! I adore summer, but I nearly blow a gasket when we have a longer trip full of history, beaches, adventure and new continents to look forward to!
- Spain: Barcelona, Zaragoza, Menorca, Ibiza, Formentera, Seville. All I can say is Tapas, Spanish Wine, beaches, dancing, and long nights wandering cobble-stoned streets until we get so lost we have to pop into a local bar for directions.
- Morocco: Holy Africa Batman! We're finally doing it! This will be our fourth continent and first time perusing the diverse country of Bogart and Bergman fame. We'll peruse the maze-like streets of Marrakesch, hike in the high-Atlas Mountains, and explore the Sahara desert on Camel-back! We're taking a tour with Intrepid Travel since A.) we've heard a-mazing things, and B.) we feel much more comfortable being guided by someone who knows the country and customs since it's completely new to us.
- Lisbon, Portugal. A quick flight and we're back in Europe. Can't wait to explore Portuguese food, wines, architecture and just bop around. (BTW: Lisbon was named Travel and Leisure's best destination of 2017!)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands. Quick, one-night pit stop, but we'll have the better part of the day to explore.
- Sail the coast of Croatia. Another bucket list destination and one we are super stoked to see via boat. We'll sail on a 20-30 person boat from Split to Dubrovnik, stopping at different ports en route. Time to work on my sit-ups...
- Montenegro. Teeny country to the South of Croatia. It boasts gorgeous architecture, winding medieval villages, and a seemingly less 'touristy' vibe than its northernly neighbor.
Winter 2017: TBD
Depends on time and money (doesn't everything!?), but we're tossing around a few ideas, so please chime in if you think one itinerary is better or worse than the others. And PLEASE share any other trip ideas for this time of year that we may have overlooked.
- Finland, Prague, Austria, Germany. Northern lights, sleeping in igloos, Christmas markets, mulled wine...need we say more?
- Costa Rica, Nicaragua. Never been, but we've heard fantastic things from every single person who's been. Annnd we'll probably need some beach by time this time of the year.
- New Zealand, Australia. Depends on how much time we have. The thought of exploring and hiking through New Zealand, drinking our way through Australian wine country, and snorkling the Great Barrier Reef just makes our hearts melt.
If you can't tell, we are beyond excited for our upcoming adventures and cannot wait to revisit some old favorites as well as explore totally new locales. We'll be out of our comfort zone but in our element and will make sure to share more deets and photos with you as we go.
What trips do YOU have planned for 2017? Please share in the comments below or via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram...We are always looking for new inspo. XO!