Delectable: Our Favorite Wine App
There are a lot of wine apps in the market, and most of them help organize your cellar or find wine ratings or locate all your favorite wineries on a map. These are really of no interest to me; I am not influenced by scores, I use Google maps, I'll drink any wine with any food, and I don't need a spreadsheet to tell me what bottles I have in my wine fridge. Delectable on the other hand, is genuis. We've been using it for over a year and think it's one of the best wine apps out there...and it's completely FREE!
Here's how it works: you snap a photo of the lable of the bottle you are enjoying and Delectable will recognize (most of the time) the exact vintage, producer, region and type of wine. You then write any tasting notes about the wine and even attach a rating. It then posts to your profile and is visible for all your followers to see. On the flip side, you can follow fellow winos and see what they're drinking as well.
What I love:
- Delectable helps keep track of the wines I've popped along with all of my notes and when I drank them for future reference.
- The social, 'Instagram-like' aspect of the app allows me to ask questions about or discuss the wines other oenophiles are drinking. I've found a lot of new and undiscovered wines this way.
- Most 'leaders' in the wine industry are on the site too! You can follow Master Sommeliers and winemakers to see their personal notes as to what they like and which wines are overrated.
- You can search of a specific wine and see what multiple users have written about different vintages to give you advice on how it is drinking or if it needs more time to age.
- Clean design, easy to use!
What I don't love
- The least functional part of the app is the 'Banquet' feature which connects you to local retail shops and purveyors. This function lets you know if they carry a wine you or your friend posted about and the price you can expect to pay. Sounds great, but since many of the wines on the site are obscure, limited, or really old, this is rarely helpful.
Delectable is essentially a virtual wine journal that you can carry with you on any device. If you've ever had a standard paper wine journal, you probably know first hand the challenges of removing a wine label (usually torn to shreds), trying to write over wine-stained pages, or simply re-reading your chicken scratch after a few bottles of Cabernet.
Delectable removes all those challenges and makes the life of a wino much easier. So in a nutshell, you have to check out this app. From the ease of use, to allowing you to connect with other wine lovers, to exploring endless new wines, Delectable is definitely worth downloading and using immediately.